Wednesday, February 24, 2010

fabric necklace

So here is another attempt at making fabric necklaces.


I made a thick and a thin version so I can wear them in a couple different ways; wrap-around necklaces/bracelets/anklets, plain necklace, tied necklace, headband and a waist belt.

Here's a simple tutorial
Step 1.
cut 3 strips of material (keep in mind this piece can be modified in many ways. You can have any length, width or type of fabric as it really does depend on what you want)
Make sure these strips are the same length. Tie a knot at one end of the strips and start to plait.

Step 2.
Once you have come to the end of the plait there are a few ways you can finish it off. If you simple want a necklace undo the knot and place the ends together. Sew a seam over the ends and then use the tassels to tie a knot after the seam. What I have done is kept the ends apart so I can use it for more than just a necklace. For my thick piece i tied knots on the ends and left tassels. For my skinny one I did the same thing but I cut the tassels off.

Step 3.
Show off your creation. It's a really good feeling when someone compliments you on something you've made yourself, so sync it straight into your wardrobe and hit the streets.

I also feature my creations on my deviantART website so if you follow that site, check me out @ amyyy-xd.deviantart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment